All the latest news here..
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

AwW Concept Art

by Daniel Sun Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 am

Further experimenting with ideas/concepts for the next AwW game, the big one....
This picture demonstrates of few interesting ideas. Art and style, multi dimentional, energy particles...
Any thoughts? Please scream.
Cosminel
Black Mist
Black Mist

Re: AwW Concept Art

by Cosminel Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 am

by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Looks awesome,

the glow, use of bright colour and extra shading are all fantastic new visuals!

I'm a a little confused as to what is happening in the second image, but it still looks epic
Cosminel
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Cosminel Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Guest wrote:Looks awesome,

the glow, use of bright colour and extra shading are all fantastic new visuals!

I'm a a little confused as to what is happening in the second image, but it still looks epic

I think that's the negative :ugeek:
Khartahn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Khartahn Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:14 pm

*screams*
took me like a minute to realize the 2nd pic was an inverted, upside down of the first. I feel dumb now :lol:
be pretty cool if in an armed with wings game, there is something reflective in the background (I dunno, ice or water or something. Ice isn't very reflective, but it could probably be gotten away with) and there is an inverted image of your character on it. Be an interesting visual effect. Or of course, there are tons of potential puzzles that could be linked with controlling an inverted character.

Anyways, about the painting. My eyes immediately pop onto the colored energy, as the brightest and only part of it with color. Cool how in a monochrome world, simply adding a lot of color to one spot has such a dramatic effect. I seem to remember learning in a history class a few years ago (we were looking at a famous painting) of a painting technique where one adds brighter colors to the spots they want the viewer to see first and pay attention to.
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:12 am

A new Aww game? what will it be about? how hawkins met eivana and VL? how did the rebelion form part to take down VL? or an alternate world were VL isn't killed by leo....and leo fails to kill VL and network and ends up powerless. imagination..,big time!
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:47 am

Omar wrote:A new Aww game? what will it be about? how hawkins met eivana and VL? how did the rebelion form part to take down VL? or an alternate world were VL isn't killed by leo....and leo fails to kill VL and network and ends up powerless. imagination..,big time!

Almost certainly will be a reboot.
Ayashi

by Ayashi Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 pm

It would be fantstic if you'd make a new aww. especialy if there will be an "Amed with wings mood" and have those powers so.... white? WHITE

ANd something about art...
everithing you done there is cool and that's not only those pics also the game.
In aww 3 the colors were amazing but aww4 was more EPIC withot colors...
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Daniel Sun wrote:
Omar wrote:A new Aww game? what will it be about? how hawkins met eivana and VL? how did the rebelion form part to take down VL? or an alternate world were VL isn't killed by leo....and leo fails to kill VL and network and ends up powerless. imagination..,big time!

so many questions and you pefer to reboot the game? what is this Batman begins on steroids?

Armed with wings has always been epic. (cept Culmination, the story failed to have that AWW experiance that i know and love What was actually goOd was the combat and graphics. but as a game dev it's not easy to do something different) please return those precious moments that AWW1,2,3 had
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:04 am

Omar wrote:
Daniel Sun wrote:

so many questions and you pefer to reboot the game? what is this Batman begins on steroids?

Armed with wings has always been epic. (cept Culmination, the story failed to have that AWW experiance that i know and love What was actually goOd was the combat and graphics. but as a game dev it's not easy to do something different) please return those precious moments that AWW1,2,3 had

Yes, a reboot. Any more questions about the current story, just ask me. The story has been told through the games.

I hate the word 'reboot', but not sure what else to call it. I want the new game to have the substance off ALL the AwW games put together. I want to introduce some elements from Contrast. WhiteMist anyone? I want to make the BlackMist more relevant in the story. Oh, and I definitely will include Nebula as a villain.

It's going to be insane. I can't wait to start developing it.

(Batman begins was freaking awesome, what's wrong with it?)
3lijahG
Black Mist
Black Mist

by 3lijahG Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 am

while leo is facing nebula for the 1st time

ondray is leading nebulas army to destroy leo's home town????

'complete despair'
orochimaru yukyuzan anji erza scarlett fuwa aika tomoe fantasy a grimmjow jaggerjaques jesus diana leto zeus nero huey freeman apollo
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:55 am

Take this..Spiderman came out in 2001? then spiderman 2 comes out on 2004? then Spiderman comes out 2007. people wanted Carnage on 4 (Jim carey was going to be him thanks to his crazy personality) and people finds out that 4 is a REBOOT. sure the actor never did a good spiderman but watch it again with a different story and other characters we haven't seen in the first movie?

Batman begin had great stuff like script, actors and new technology but the story is the same.

Please don't be like Rareware (childhood fav game studio) that they had stuff that changed the gaming world (Games like Donkey Kong country in 3D for NES and GoldenEye best FPS and the 1st FPS on consoles) they were my heroes but now they do kinect games? please i beg you not to ruin the beutiful Saga you created. the mistep you took was Culmination. it simply made me go sad face
3lijahG
Black Mist
Black Mist

by 3lijahG Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:09 am

if you think of the aww games as parts of the same story or parts of the same game , culmination would fit right in there in between the aww 3 story...

but culmination in itself of course 'lacked' in alot of aspects it felt like a incomplete game that was stilll in the development process, but the fighting mechanics were spot on (for lone warrior anyway) (playing as vandheer was a joke....) theres also situations where u wish your character could move / turn / change directions , anyway....

if dan had everything perfect.... there would be nothing to look forward too....

i dont think a reboot would ruin aww because there would be a much stronger / in-depth storyline / stronger graphics/ stronger mechanics for the character(s) (including npc's) and for the levels them selves

the A.W.W. series as we know it is inconsistent in every aspect... except the black and white silhouette style LOL!
orochimaru yukyuzan anji erza scarlett fuwa aika tomoe fantasy a grimmjow jaggerjaques jesus diana leto zeus nero huey freeman apollo
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:35 am

OMG You matured! your right but Culmination was more concentrated on graphics and style and new gameplay, that the game didn't have a real challange. the story was ok but it needed more work. storytelling isn't easy at all. takes time..

i like AWW 1 i love AWW2 and i adore AWW3

but there's some questions that we all have were contrast hasn't explained yet
QwertyFail
Black Mist
Black Mist

by QwertyFail Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:39 am

Dan, I believe that you should expand the Contrast universe first before you undertake this project, as this would benefit both your audience and yourself with a well-constructed, fluent, and solid story-line.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll be making lots of noise when I start developing this game; This will be mine game AND the communities game. I'm likely going to start beta testing from the beginning, to make sure everything is perfect.

The reason why I wish to 'reboot' the story, is because there will be a lot more people playing this game. For most people (on steam, xbla, psn ect...) this will be the first time playing Armed with Wings, so it would be best to start the story form the begining... only a far better story!

I'll start development probably mid 2012. I've still got lots of contract work to get done, then of course I want to make a few iphone/android games (will be good practise for me, need to figure out the best way to use HaXe).

Omar wrote:Please don't be like Rareware (childhood fav game studio) that they had stuff that changed the gaming world (Games like Donkey Kong country in 3D for NES and GoldenEye best FPS and the 1st FPS on consoles) they were my heroes but now they do kinect games? please i beg you not to ruin the beutiful Saga you created. the mistep you took was Culmination. it simply made me go sad face

It's my mission NOT to destroy AwW. I understand, Crytek took the story of Crysis 2 in a weird direction. As a fan of Crysis1, I'm quite dissipointed with the story (I still fkn love Crysis2). I won't do that to AwW, I'm only going to make it MORE awesome!
Fatkid

by Fatkid Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 am

Beautiful.
VandheerLorde
Black Hole
Black Hole

by VandheerLorde Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:30 am

I am so thrilled by these big news and announcements that i can't even put together a good, easily understood post to explain just how happy I am right now..

i'll let it cool-off and come back with a wall of text later..

but for now: I am So happy To be A part Of your Personal development As a Game developer Dan!
It has been an honor have been following your games all this way!

*edit - a few hours later then the section above - *

ok, so, here I am back now.

Hearing (or.. reading) the news about that you are planing on "rebooting/retelling" they story of AwW is thrilling!

as you has always said, you didn't really plan that much when you made the first AwW game, so making this re-make will be just amazing!
and your ideas with filling out the story with parts from Contrast (the original idea behind AwW) sounds like an even greater idea. However, I haven't seen much of your actual Contrast work.. I know you know what you are doing, but be sure to finish figuring out contrast, how you want it to be, from beginning till end, before you start with the project.

I have seen one to many awesome series being destroyed when they keep adding more and more, crazier and crazier stuff they later in the series it go, things they hadn't even started to plan about when they started the original series. And I can't think of a worse end for your contrast universe.
keep it simple, keep it small, keep it awesome.

Now some comments to some earlier posts

Daniel Sun wrote: For most people (on steam, xbla, psn ect...) this will be the first time playing Armed with Wings, so it would be best to start the story form the begining... only a far better story!

This caught my interest.. what do you mean with "for people on steam, xbla, psn ect..."
are you plaining on releasing this game on those platforms?!? :D having your game on the PSN or steam would be a BIG step forward for you! :D EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

. . .

Omar wrote:Armed with wings has always been epic. (cept Culmination, the story failed to have that AWW experiance that i know and love What was actually goOd was the combat and graphics. but as a game dev it's not easy to do something different) please return those precious moments that AWW1,2,3 had

3lijahG wrote:if you think of the aww games as parts of the same story or parts of the same game , culmination would fit right in there in between the aww 3 story...

but culmination in itself of course 'lacked' in alot of aspects it felt like a incomplete game that was stilll in the development process, but the fighting mechanics were spot on (for lone warrior anyway) (playing as vandheer was a joke....)size=200] LOL! [/size]

Why the crap is people nagging about Culmination??! In my opinion Culmination is maybe the BEST of all your 5 AwW games! They story was simple and direct, just like in the original AwW1 and RedMoon (my two favs), the graphic and music was pure AMAZING, simple, but AMAZING. combat was MORE THE AWESOME!
dialogs and characters were few, but spot on and delivered all they story the game needed.
the two different difficulties was great, normal was great for beginners and playing around, and the hard mode truly was HARD the first time around. and the mechanics with the two bosses was a fun element, and even, in the end of hard mode where you play AGAINST Vandheer Lorde, AFTER playing AS him, and totally KICKING lone warrior's butt, gave you that "oh-shit.. this is going to be extreme" without even directly telling it. Telling a story without speaking is a hard thing to do in games, and Daniel has done it successfully!
And the boss battles them selfs, by FAR the BEST-ONES in the whole series! yes, there is some small things in the Vandheer fight, but that fight were never meant to be hard. it's a PLAYGROUND, and that is exactly what it is!
and the fight VS Vandheer, how stuff build-up slowly and get more and more intense.. BEST.BOSS.FIGHT.IN.THE.SERIES.

P.S I warned you I was planing a wall of text. . .
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 pm

VandheerLorde I love you
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Can we test the game if your making it for PSN or steam? it would be a huge honor! for some of us Veterans where we played AWW since the 1st game came out.
I'd buy the game if it's in PSN. even if i have shit to pay.

btw with that art style it will look like LIMBO to be honest..EPIC WIN!
Cosminel
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Cosminel Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Omar wrote:Can we test the game if your making it for PSN or steam? it would be a huge honor! for some of us Veterans where we played AWW since the 1st game came out.
I'd buy the game if it's in PSN. even if i have shit to pay.

btw with that art style it will look like LIMBO to be honest..EPIC WIN!

indeed a honor :D
Nameless1
Nebula
Nebula

by Nameless1 Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:57 am

Damn, I take a short break and find THIS when I return, hot damn.

Thoughts on setting: A reboot makes a lot of sense, compared to the later entries the first game well, doesn't. Of course I don't think you'll just remake the first game and as Leo is the character in that drawing I suspect Contrast. Reboot is a smart move regardless, you really can't follow up on the current Armed storyline, it ended in a good place, no need to drag it out unnecessarily.

Speculations and crap: Maybe I'm inferring WAY to much from this piece of art but I view those the top and bottom drawing as Blackmist and Whitemist worlds respectively, whatever it is I am TOTALLY PSYCHED FOR THIS!
Make guns not war.

I'm water person, think of a Pisces with a longsword.

by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:38 pm

daniel,just a suggestion.

you could add switchable sharacters like eivanna and lone warrior and hawken plus you could also add somethong like at a stage of the game where we could play as vandheer or some general of his.
Vandheer Lorde II

by Vandheer Lorde II Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:08 am

Not bad, but not my thing... :/
lvlsomething
Nova
Nova

by lvlsomething Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:53 am

That is really nice looking, I think particle effects look awesome, but honestly I would stay away from the inversion thing, I feel like that is a major pull for flash-game developers and that it has been used to the same effect every time. (But the whitemist/corrupting-blackmist thing is nice, I like that).

Also, I'm going to have to side with the pro-reboot group, and say that I think the AWW series do really need to be... embellished.
Being a huge fan of story, I'd really like to replay the first couple of games with more of a story to it, kinda like content in-between major events in the story.
Also, something to think about, I'd really like to see content from the original rebellion against Vandheer (intro to AWW1).
Return to News