All the latest news here..
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Armed with Wings screenshot concept / wallpaper

by Daniel Sun Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 am

Hey ya'll,
I released Culmination in November 2011 which is over a year ago now and it was around that time I was working at Eighth Wonder Studios developing Desert Zombie. My job was to create 2d art and that is what I did all day. One of my team mates was Sambolic Art of DeviantArt http://shambolic-art.deviantart.com - needless to say a fantastic artist. We worked closely together on concept art for several months pumping out ungodly amounts of drawings. It was during these months that my artistic skills really benefited in an extraordinary way.
Now I find myself in 2013 and the new Armed with Wings is still in pseudo preproduction. It's going to take such a long time to develop, I can't wait to see the finished result! So, I've created this fake screen shot of how I'd like the game to look. Check it out...
This is a 1920x1080 image completely created in flash - every single element is vector art. Feel free to save this as a desktop wallpaper. Also, if you would like a copy of the FLA containing all the vector art, sound of in the comments.
At some stage I'd like to take this into photoshop and see if I can redo the effects with rasterized art.
I hope that I can make the new game look as good in not better than this screenshot. It's going to be extremely tricky however as the amount of detail I put into a single sprites far surpass that of the previous games. It's not difficult to do, but it requires much more time. I'm pretty sure however that I'll become quicker & quicker with practice.
Lastly, would this make a cool poster? Guests can comment, as always (although they should register :D)
Aku saturos
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

Re: Armed with Wings screenshot concept / wallpaper

by Aku saturos Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:26 am

Armed with wings is now undergo production?, Well i wonder of how will the story flow since some of the characters are dead and kinda hard to reconnect the pieces altogether, Some new characters would be suffice to create the 5th installment of the series once again.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 am

Aku saturos wrote:Armed with wings is now undergo production?, Well i wonder of how will the story flow since some of the characters are dead and kinda hard to reconnect the pieces altogether, Some new characters would be suffice to create the 5th installment of the series once again.

Not yet lol it's not even in proper preproduction - Don't worry the whole world will know when I officially start development.
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 pm

The hard work you put into this game will definitely pay off. This would definitely make an awesome poster, and I would like to see more of these works, perhaps Armed With Wings Lone Warrior vs. Vandheer Lorde and Network.
"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things...I'll destroy them all!" - Kefka Palazzo
PopcarI

EPIC!

by PopcarI Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm

propably the best animated wallpaper, also for one of my fav flash games! its kinda sad how this website isn't really popular...
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

Re: EPIC!

by Kesani Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 pm

PopcarI wrote:propably the best animated wallpaper, also for one of my fav flash games! its kinda sad how this website isn't really popular...

I agree, and it's even more surprising since the games are sponsored by really well known sites. The game is very enjoyable so I don't know why it isn't so.
"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things...I'll destroy them all!" - Kefka Palazzo

by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 pm

This is great! Cant wait for the next AwW game! But i just want to say dont over due the characters or the sprites. IMO, the LW in culmination looks better than the LW in the wallpaper. He just doesn't resemble lone warrior to me-at all. However, this wallpaper will be great for my iPhone theme :)
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

by Blackout Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Guest wrote:This is great! Cant wait for the next AwW game! But i just want to say dont over due the characters or the sprites. IMO, the LW in culmination looks better than the LW in the wallpaper. He just doesn't resemble lone warrior to me-at all. However, this wallpaper will be great for my iPhone theme :)
That was my post, forgot to log in
VandheerLorde
Black Hole
Black Hole

by VandheerLorde Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 am

Blackout wrote:
Guest wrote:This is great! Cant wait for the next AwW game! But i just want to say dont over due the characters or the sprites. IMO, the LW in culmination looks better than the LW in the wallpaper. He just doesn't resemble lone warrior to me-at all. However, this wallpaper will be great for my iPhone theme :)
That was my post, forgot to log in

Agree on this one. Can't wait! and also, Don't Over-do the character sprites..
..more details doesn't always mean better..
It takes Long production time, and I personally liked your "silhouette" characters style, it gives your games personality and stylization. The small details on LWs scarf is not needed.. and look at that Vandheer! You absolutely don't have to feel the need to make EVERY one of his movement sprites THAT detailed. In my opinion he even looks better in Silhouette. . .
However, keep the details in-mind.. I imagine you can always use them in a few sprites here and there somehow.. (remember back in AwW1, just before the final boss (good memories) where Vandheer for a split second "glowed" and showed an all detailed sprite? Yes? That.. Just saying..)

But ENOUGH about the characters.. Look at those lightning effects! Ever sense Red Moon, you showed you have a talent for cool-looking magical-blasts effects, and you haven't let us down since, especially in Culmination! And an other thing you have since AwW3 showed us is that were your talent Truly Shines (except making awesome games in general ofc) is the environment Art.. yes.. 'Art'
The details you put into trees and cliffs and mountains in the background and rocks and pillars and edges is breathtaking, just amazing. An other thing that gives your games personality. Just saying..
lvlsomething
Nova
Nova

by lvlsomething Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 am

VandheerLorde wrote:Agree on this one. Can't wait! and also, Don't Over-do the character sprites..
It takes Long production time, and I personally liked your "silhouette" characters style, it gives your games personality and stylization. The small details on LWs scarf is not needed.. and look at that Vandheer! You absolutely don't have to feel the need to make EVERY one of his movement sprites THAT detailed. In my opinion he even looks better in Silhouette. . .
However, keep the details in-mind.. I imagine you can always use them in a few sprites here and there somehow.. (remember back in AwW1, just before the final boss (good memories) where Vandheer for a split second "glowed" and showed an all detailed sprite? Yes? That.. Just saying..)

But ENOUGH about the characters.. Look at those lightning effects! Ever sense Red Moon, you showed you have a talent for cool-looking magical-blasts effects, and you haven't let us down since, especially in Culmination! And an other thing you have since AwW3 showed us is that were your talent Truly Shines (except making awesome games in general ofc) is the environment Art.. yes.. 'Art'
The details you put into trees and cliffs and mountains in the background and rocks and pillars and edges is breathtaking, just amazing. An other thing that gives your games personality. Just saying..

I also agree with most of this. Although detail is always welcomed, the silhouette style to your characters always made the atmosphere of the game just so amazing. There is a feel of... mystery to the characters when you aren't seeing every detail all the time.
On the other hand, the background of that image is just superb as it is, especially the shadows of that mountain behind Vandheer. It's just so pretty.
I know I didn't say anything that wasn't just said, but another voice helps, I guess.
Joel

by Joel Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

I just played Armed With Wings Culmination at onemorelevel.com and am I surprised by this game... been playing it all afternoon! wish there was an option to have infinite enemies to drop on them all the unreal and amazing combos :D

I'm surprised this is a free game, wish it had more story to it, but for a free game, wow, if it has kept me busy and entertained :D VERY WELL DONE!!!

look forward to the next one!

May I just take this opportunity and say, the game was very very well planned out, the music and the graphics and the whole game experience, is just a golden 5* from me. LOVE IT!! :)
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

by Blackout Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am

lvlsomething wrote:
VandheerLorde wrote:Agree on this one. Can't wait! and also, Don't Over-do the character sprites..

I also agree with most of this. Although detail is always welcomed, the silhouette style to your characters always made the atmosphere of the game just so amazing. There is a feel of... mystery to the characters when you aren't seeing every detail all the time.
On the other hand, the background of that image is just superb as it is, especially the shadows of that mountain behind Vandheer. It's just so pretty.
I know I didn't say anything that wasn't just said, but another voice helps, I guess.

Wow I didn't think anybody agreed with me lol. But I just wanted to say that we all know that your trying to give more personality to your characters, but just black gives the player the control of what personality we want them to be, which made these games incredible! AwW 3 and Culmination, imo, didn't have as much appeal as possible because tbh i think nearly all the characters were over done(Especially VL in Culmination, didn't even look like VL to me). Already being monochromatic, can you picture how a basic black character would look in an incredibly made and detailed environment? That would be just beautiful, and AwW could become recognized just my that sole appearance. However in cut-scenes like in AwW 3, detail on the characters is amazing, just not too much. Also just want to point out real quick but for me, the colors in AwW 3 killed some of the experience of that game, as did the white lines after the attacks, to me it made the attacks seem a lot less alive(Unlike AwW 2's attacks).

So bottom line of my whole rant: Please don't make the next AwW game's characters so over done and detailed that so there is no personality left for the player to make for the character. Or in other words, Let the players mind make the character. Also if your going to put color into the game, add the option to switch on and off :)

Sorry if I sound like I'm just complaining, but i just wanted to voice somewhere the things that i think could make the new AwW a better game :)
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:26 am

First, that looks incredible! I can't imagine the amount of time required to make a whole game with that amount of detail. Second... I hate to be yet another person to say this, but the detail is almost overboard. The monochrome indistinct world and characters are what made the aww games what they were. If you are going to add more detail, I think you should go for something like the cut scenes in aww3. Imho, thats some of your best art, aww or otherwise. Maybe you could spend the time saved on all that detail on more level design :) But I guess, since this is a reboot of the entire series, you could be thinking its time to branch out from the former art style, I don't know. But, if you do decide to go all crazy with details like that screenshot, you might as well take the time and do it in full color man! :D either way, it'll look freakin' awesome, as usual. Anyway, my 2 cents.
Cosminel
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Cosminel Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:35 am

hurry up man...it's been tooo long..I can't wait :lol:
Asher MstrImmortalis

by Asher MstrImmortalis Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Ganspool Filto wrote:Daniel, why don't you try convert AWW to 3D-graphics?
I think that it will be a good idea. However, there`s raises a several questions: Difficulty of Implementation - One
Graphics engine (create or use a ready, for example 3D Unity) - two
Voice the characters or keep them silent - three

Maybe, somebody will tell something else? I think that it is all

I don't think 3D-graphics would be that good of an idea to me, no offense. The thing is is that the whole AwW universe is made intirely out of silhouettes. Making them into 3D models would mean having to put in details and depth into all the models while keeping that silhouette-like appearance, which kinda kills the style of appearance of the AwW series even if Daniel somehow manages to keep the art style that way.

Voices would be interesting, though. I always tried to imagine every one of their voices, and I would love to know how each character would sound like should Daniel have a voice actor for the characters.
VandheerLorde
Black Hole
Black Hole

by VandheerLorde Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Asher MstrImmortalis wrote:
Ganspool Filto wrote:Daniel, why don't you try convert AWW to 3D-graphics?
I think that it will be a good idea. However, there`s raises a several questions: Difficulty of Implementation - One
Graphics engine (create or use a ready, for example 3D Unity) - two
Voice the characters or keep them silent - three

Maybe, somebody will tell something else? I think that it is all

I don't think 3D-graphics would be that good of an idea to me, no offense. The thing is is that the whole AwW universe is made intirely out of silhouettes. Making them into 3D models would mean having to put in details and depth into all the models while keeping that silhouette-like appearance, which kinda kills the style of appearance of the AwW series even if Daniel somehow manages to keep the art style that way.

Voices would be interesting, though. I always tried to imagine every one of their voices, and I would love to know how each character would sound like should Daniel have a voice actor for the characters.

I hardly think Dan is in the stage where he got enough time and effort to give to try to convert this amazing and artistic universe into the 3D realm..
But however, when time comes when Dan got the time and effort and crew under him to, just like how Nebula entered the blackmist world, Do bring it all into the 3D world, I can only imagine the games what would come as a result would be nothing less than Epic if given their justice and deserved amount of love.
But it does come the question of looks.. As mentioned, the game has been awesomely stylized in a low amount of colors, high amount of Contrast and silhouette bases characters. Exposure to Too much detail over too much time put into that highly stylized art-style would ... be different.. I'll stick to that, It would be different.

..But that's all mostly for in the future, and we're just no there yet.. But about voices.. hmm..

It has been done before, everyone who've played Red Moon knows that, and for me, it actually didn't kill the Emotion at all to be honest. but I'll have to (again) give Dan a good amount of credit here. He used a very modest amount of voice-acting, not making it too much. I liked that and would leave it to that.
However, it doesn't mean we have to leave all the characters completely silent. I'm sure almost everyone who've been playing a good few games here will know what I'll talk about. But giving each character a personal "sound-effect". it could be everything from a short greeting, a grunt, a laughter (friendly or evil), the cry of an eagle/raven or even the sound of a person pulling a deep breath on a smoke and then blowing in out again (I'm looking at you Smoking Martillo <.< ) Something that players will learn to immediately recognize a/the character by, but yet will leave all the meaning and in-game talking to text (except maybe in rare occasions in special cut-scenes, like how it was made in Red Moon)
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:31 pm

I know it was posted like a month ago (shame on me xD) but I just wanted to say that I also agree that the characters shouldn't have too much details. Maybe for cinematics or art it's ok but generally the mysterious silhouettes are more interesting.
My Art Thread | My Portfolio || 16thSquadSanseki on: deviantART | Twitter | tumblr || Avatar: Zergling by CarBot Animations
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

by Blackout Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:04 am

16thSquadSanseki wrote:I know it was posted like a month ago (shame on me xD) but I just wanted to say that I also agree that the characters shouldn't have too much details. Maybe for cinematics or art it's ok but generally the mysterious silhouettes are more interesting.

My thoughts exactly :)
sparky
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by sparky Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:51 am

Very cool, I approve.
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 pm

16thSquadSanseki wrote:I know it was posted like a month ago (shame on me xD) but I just wanted to say that I also agree that the characters shouldn't have too much details. Maybe for cinematics or art it's ok but generally the mysterious silhouettes are more interesting.

xD oh for a month?

i seen this when it came out...i don't feel like posting too much in here anymore :(.
MisterDantes

by MisterDantes Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:45 am

i might be in a minority on this site, but me personally can't wait to see the new style and art of AwW. The discreet colors of culmination was soo beautiful. I kinda missed a survival mode to culmination, so please consider having it in the next game :)
thank you for all the hours of entertainment
3lijahG
Black Mist
Black Mist

by 3lijahG Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:57 am

nows my chance to outpost all my rivals!, IVE WAITED A LOOOOONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! mwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!
orochimaru yukyuzan anji erza scarlett fuwa aika tomoe fantasy a grimmjow jaggerjaques jesus diana leto zeus nero huey freeman apollo
Return to News