All the latest news here..
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't sleep

by Daniel Sun Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:44 pm

It is 5:30 in the morning and I haven’t been able to sleep at all. I suppose there is a lot on my mind. Andy Moore, a Canadian developer who I follow closely explained that writing down his thoughts onto a piece of paper and literally throwing that paper away causes a psychological effect that would help clear the mind of negativity - or something along those lines. Actually Andy mentioned that writing a blog post and publishing it had the same effect for him. I figured I might give it a shot - after all Andy, you promised this would work!

I've ran out of money for this month. Since my last major contract ended in September 2012, I haven’t been financially secure thus each month has been a difficult struggle to tackle. Unfortunately, these battles have been lost as debt slowly continues to pile up. I’m constantly delaying payments and cutting costs down - but it’s never quite enough. I have a sizeable tax bill, which I have no way of paying at the moment. I recently paid an outstanding mobile phone bill of $300. I'm receiving calls from the bank asking for loan & card repayments... It’s difficult.
What scares me is the thought that this could continue all year.

Flash games are my bread and butter. But after releasing both Mega Boulder Rampage & Samurai Autumn - I can conclude that this market is now worthless and I want nothing more to do with it. Sponsors expect such a high quality game before they even offer $1000 - for a game of such quality it would be stupid to settle for a mere sponsorship deal - you would be better of trying to sell it on steam.

I’m trying to work on Armed with Wings because I’m sick of not working on it. However it’s still in such early stages - I’m at a point now where I don’t have any games near completion, which means I won’t be seeing any cash flow until my next ad revenue payment in March. I’m scared because I can’t afford to work on Armed with Wings. Delaying it any further is not an option either - I’ve had enough of delays. Since September I’ve continually put aside Armed with Wings so I can work on shorter project that would help get me back on my feet but I can see the pattern at work and if I join the dots it paints a hopeless picture. The only way to see decent return is to make an amazing game - at that WILL be Armed with Wings and not anything else.

The only solution I can think of is financing... or funding if you will. My thinking is that I should focus on securing funding from either government or publisher. I’m considering jumping into the crowdfunding arena, or perhaps even finding an investor. I want to make a decision today and pursue one of these paths.

For now that is all. I think I’ve put down most of my thoughts. It’s now 6:42 am... time to get to work!
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

Re: I can't sleep

by Omar Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:28 pm

This is what i call a obstacle course of life.
sometimes the world takes turns that we all don't want to be in.
It has happens to everyone. it even happens to me...

We all have financial problems. somehow we find a way out of it.
my suggestion is not be be scared. do not refer to fear.
Fear is the main reason we are Negative.

We all support your work. Game development isn't easy at all we all understand...i understand because i am a game developer.

i can't give good suggestions because i'm still an ignorant in the human society.
i can't really help you but to motivate you to keep doing what you love doing. that's right creating GAMES!

remember that we all support you.... who? your loyal fans of sun-studios.

You can do it Daniel, you been in worst situations before, whats make you think that you won't make it.
be positive my friend. you'll get your big prize at the end of the maze i assure you will.

-Omar
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Omar wrote:This is what i call a obstacle course of life.
sometimes the world takes turns that we all don't want to be in.
It has happens to everyone. it even happens to me...

We all have financial problems. somehow we find a way out of it.
my suggestion is not be be scared. do not refer to fear.
Fear is the main reason we are Negative.

We all support your work. Game development isn't easy at all we all understand...i understand because i am a game developer.

i can't give good suggestions because i'm still an ignorant in the human society.
i can't really help you but to motivate you to keep doing what you love doing. that's right creating GAMES!

remember that we all support you.... who? your loyal fans of sun-studios.

You can do it Daniel, you been in worst situations before, whats make you think that you won't make it.
be positive my friend. you'll get your big prize at the end of the maze i assure you will.

-Omar

:) You're a champion Omar, thanks.
QwertyFail
Black Mist
Black Mist

by QwertyFail Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm

My suggestion would be to get out of the Flash Game Industry and into the actual Indie Game Industry, and by that I mean to actually start selling your games rather than relying on sponsorship from other companies. If you need any inspiration, I suggest watching Indie Game: The Movie for a couple of minutes to see how Super Meat Boy, FEZ, and Braid became successful using this method. Hell, I scrapped my first Flash game project last year because I saw the potential of Steam Greenlight when it was released, as well as the potential of working in a team. Although if may not be your thing Daniel, I strongly recommend you assemble a team so that the workload and development time may be decreased. Of course, if you are willing to assemble a team, make sure the members are willing to work without pay until the product is released, and are prepared for failure with months of work wasted. My suggestion may not be all that optimistic, but it's how reality has worked out for me as of late.

Anyways, that's my two cents for you Daniel. Good luck with the latest Armed with Wings project!
JoeCool

by JoeCool Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Hey,

you are so talented, I can't believe you cannot live on such great games you made!

Have you tried alternative platforms? Flash game license/sponsoring/ads is a nice income source, but you should not rely on those only.
Why not port your games to the Starling Framework and publish them to iOS/Android? With Adobe Air 3.5 and Flashdevelop you can build those for free. You need only to pay 99$ to Apple and 25$ to Google to publish your games there.

I have released only one flash game yet to iOS and I would not be able to live on it, but its already a small but steady income stream. If you would port all your games to iOS/Android, put some ads in you might already be able to live on that...

If you need any help/hints to port your games to iOS, let me know. You can reach me at "matthias at rough-sea.com" or over twitter http://twitter.com/_JoeCool_
Anonyman

by Anonyman Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:44 am

Hi Daniel. I'm sorry to hear that. I agree with you that the flash games industry is now worthless. BTW, indie game industry is even worse. Trust me. I've been there and done that. Unless you know many people and can sneak in... if you know what I mean... You can try though.

With anything that is useless, the best option is to cut it off and look for other better alternatives.

I really hope you do well and settle all debts and stuff.

Thanks and take care.
Vandheer Lorde II

by Vandheer Lorde II Wed May 08, 2013 3:48 am

I'm with Qwerty, although it's true that the indie games industry has become more un-indie as of recent years, I still think it's the path for you Dan, anyone can see that Aww has intense artist and creative talent behind it, and honestly, even Super meat boy could definitely be upstaged by it, you just have to find a foothold, once you're in, full steam ahead mate, good luck man.

by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:39 am

I agree with the others. You should definitely move to the mobile genre or try making it on to Steam.
Return to News