General Rearmed chit-chat

Moderators: Blackout, VandheerLorde

Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

(OLD) Let's Discuss Multiplayer

by Daniel Sun Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:50 am

Many times I've been asked if there will ever be Multiplayer in Rearmed, VS mode, online battles, or co-op.

I've often responded with either:
"It's possible but only after launch" or
"Maybe 1v1 local, not online" or
"It's too much work"

Couple weeks ago, I put in the foundations for multiple controllers and managed to get a 2nd controllable player half-working. After doing some programming on the game this week, I've managed to create a very basic 1v1 multiplayer mode. It's not totally complete, there currently are no rounds or winning state - But it functions. This means it is very likely that Rearmed will have Multiplayer!

It's very exciting to think that I could jam Multiplayer into Rearmed while it's still in Early Access. I'd like to get a discussion going in regards to the potential of multiplayer, what would you like to see?
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

Re: Let's Discuss Multiplayer

by Blackout Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:57 am

1v1 me plz.

But more seriously, that's awesome! I can't really give any critiques specifically to multi-player given I haven't been exposed to it, so we'll likely have to wait until then to get anything critical from me.

Co-op survival would also be nice.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:13 am

Currently there are two playable character, the most I'll add before launch is 2 more, a total of 4 playable characters.
Also, considering the equipment system, there are a few options for 1v1 matches:

Should p1 and p2 be able to select any sword and perk loadout? This will allow for imbalanced matches.
Should there be a more balanced mode, where both players have the same gear?
Or maybe a mode where both players start with Katana and 0 boosters - Better weapons and gear and be rewarded to players throughout the fight.
VandheerLorde
Black Hole
Black Hole

by VandheerLorde Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:53 am

Now this is interesting progression. I've always been pretty content with Armed with Wings being a single-player game, but adding local multiplayer definitely opens a lot of interesting options. It also makes me curious...
Daniel Sun wrote:Currently there are two playable character, the most I'll add before launch is 2 more, a total of 4 playable characters.
Roughly how done would you imagine you are with the game? How complete is the framework and foundation of the game, and how much more is still to be added or changed? "0.8.7" Could be interpreted as 87% done with the game, though I doubt this is an accurate translation. So if you would say a rough estimate, how much more is planned for us?

I'm asking this, because I feel adding multiplayer, even just local multiplayer, would be a huge undertaking and will consume a lot of time and resources, and will probably effect how "complete" the game is in it's current state. All this in addition to potentially adding 2 more playable characters.

With that question out of the way, let's move on to the interesting part.
Daniel Sun wrote:Also, considering the equipment system, there are a few options for 1v1 matches:

Should p1 and p2 be able to select any sword and perk loadout? This will allow for imbalanced matches.
Should there be a more balanced mode, where both players have the same gear?
Or maybe a mode where both players start with Katana and 0 boosters - Better weapons and gear and be rewarded to players throughout the fight.
Since (If i've understood it correctly) it's local multiplayer, I don't see any need for any strictly regulated game-modes. Give the players a lot of freedom and they'll play around and make their own stricter rules with the people they're playing with.

That being said, I really like Blackouts suggestion:
Blackout wrote:Co-op survival would also be nice.
I admit this would definitely break the lore (as far as we know it) to have Lone Warrior & Vandheer Team up (or any of the potential, mysterious additional characters that might be added), but multiplayer doesn't have to be lore accurate as long as it makes the game more enjoyable breaking the lore.

Story-mode co-op could also be cool, even if implemented in a way that one player just controls the eagle, allowing a veteran player to guide a new player though the basics of the game via the story-mode. (And maybe a way for the two players to switch who controls what, so the veteran player can show off some cool moves with LW, but if it's local multiplayer, they might as well just switch controllers.. )

The main focus on Multiplayer should definitely be 1v1 arena mode. This should probably use the already built-in lives system, so to achieve victory, a player has to defeat the other player more than once (Practically turning it into a of 7, unless Revive perk is used)

I'm all for the players to be able to choose to play unsymmetrically balanced equipment setups, however, this would require a bit more work on balancing the different perks and swords, so that there isn't any 1 definitely best set-up, to minimise the balance difference between a two different setups.

Really looking forward to seeing where this leads.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:48 pm

80% is about right. What I really need to do is accelerate development. Thankfully, VS multiplayer is pretty much in so it will be arriving shortly.

Shared Eagle in coop sounds good - if I get around to doing Coop (which I really want to). During cutscenes and in game conversations, it will target player 1, player 2 will disappear during these sequences.

As for VS, I also like keeping an open mode for players to choose whatever equipment. If there's time, i'll add variants to VS.
Vandheer_Lorde_PL
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Vandheer_Lorde_PL Sun May 22, 2016 2:18 pm

In 1v1 for me everybody should have just katana and perks should be randomized to all players so eveyone must know how to use ALL perks not just one "set". For example: one player got jump, extended combo, heal, and anti-flinch, but second can got 2 hit, teleport, power wave and speed charge.
So it will be based on skill and knowledge how to use perks.

tududu tududu I'm the best all the time I'm,
Return to Discussion