General Rearmed chit-chat

Moderators: Blackout, VandheerLorde

Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

I added a normal Jump Button

by Daniel Sun Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:28 am

The next update will introduce a normal jump button. For keyboards, it will be SPACE. For Gamepads, it will be X. There will also be an option to Toggle this jump control ON and OFF in the settings - by default it will be switched off. No double jump, but you can perform the 3rd roll from a jump.

Also, I feel like it's time to implement rebindable controls - might not make it into the next update, maybe the one after.

Thoughts? Do you want this? Do you not care either way?

Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

Re: I added a normal Jump Button

by Blackout Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 pm

I'm mostly worried that jumping could potentially significantly change the way the game is played for the worse. I'm just assuming that you've already made a lot of small adjustments to each of the levels to accommodate jumping, so I hope that also doesn't change some of the individual levels for the worse.

Key binds are cool and I know they're highly anticipated. Myself I've become accustomed to the default ones but occasionally I hit the wrong key which sometimes ends really badly for me, so I'll anticipate experimenting with that update 8-) .

I still think there are quite a few things that could be improved upon, though, before almost anything else. Just in case you missed it, the top three of those priorities are in my siggy ;). Just bringing it up because one of them is relatively new and I'm not sure you've had time to read it yet.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Blackout wrote:I'm mostly worried that jumping could potentially significantly change the way the game is played for the worse. I'm just assuming that you've already made a lot of small adjustments to each of the levels to accommodate jumping, so I hope that also doesn't change some of the individual levels for the worse.

Key binds are cool and I know they're highly anticipated. Myself I've become accustomed to the default ones but occasionally I hit the wrong key which sometimes ends really badly for me, so I'll anticipate experimenting with that update 8-) .

I still think there are quite a few things that could be improved upon, though, before almost anything else. Just in case you missed it, the top three of those priorities are in my siggy ;). Just bringing it up because one of them is relatively new and I'm not sure you've had time to read it yet.

Actually I've made no changes to any levels to accommodate the new jump. In fact, I haven't yet tested it on sliding slopes (but I have testing on moving platforms, and also for normal slopes). Don't worry too much, as jumping won't be a 'new feature', it will be a setting that is turned off by default - purely to see player response.

I did read your post on the Camera movement and have actually made an adjustment there too. The camera is more snappy now, but still eases into position only now far less agressive by a factor of half. I won't go for a 100% locked camera like in AwW1, cause it looks shit imo :S

Will need to reread your combat thread however.
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

by Blackout Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:42 pm

reply moved here.
SOME GUY

by SOME GUY Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 pm

(HYPE). You've officially solved my problems with those beasts.
Black
Shouting Nova
Shouting Nova

by Black Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 pm

I feel jumping should not be automated and always a manual thing.
Jumping is part of surviving and strategy in a platformer.
Return to Discussion