General Rearmed chit-chat

Moderators: Blackout, VandheerLorde

Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Resolution Options

by Daniel Sun Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Should I include resolution options in Rearmed?

Currently the game is locked to 900x540. The reason why I have not put options for 720p or 1080p is because Flash is a terrible engine for displaying content at that scale. If 1080p was an options, I'm sure that most players will want to play the game in the higher setting... only to discover the game runs at 10fps, super super slow.
I don't want to receive bad reviews/ returned units because of slow performance. I also don't want reviewers or streamers to encounter sluggish experience.

But the question is, should Resolution options be available anyway? Anyone who experiences poor performance could lower their settings until they get a smooth experience.
DarklordMogrithe
Core Nova
Core Nova

Re: Resolution Options

by DarklordMogrithe Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:38 pm

I personally haven't found resolution to be a problem at all; the game looks great even at its current resolution. I can understand some people on different displays wanting more resolution options, such as if they were playing on a device with a different aspect ratio. If it wouldn't be difficult to add, I think the ability to change resolution would be a good addition, albeit with a warning when switching to a resolution that could potentially cause lag. (I don't know how much lag it causes, but people on good gaming computers could perhaps still play it at a higher resolution.) If this option is in the normal settings menu, the warning could be as simple as some red text popping up below the box saying that the resolution selected is known to cause lag. (To fit the option in the menu you could just have a new row, along with the other options that are going to be added like disabling attack trails and bubbles.)
Lend a hand on the wiki.
Try out my game, EverSector.
Watch some videos on my YouTube channel.
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

Re: Resolution Options

by Blackout Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:17 am

DarklordMogrithe wrote:I think the ability to change resolution would be a good addition, albeit with a warning when switching to a resolution that could potentially cause lag. (I don't know how much lag it causes, but people on good gaming computers could perhaps still play it at a higher resolution.)
^

Rearmed runs perfect on my new desktop even when using the high resolution "exploit".

In the very least, have some sort of "cheat code" or exploit that allows full-screen in the native resolution of the monitor. That way players who care enough about resolution & quality can easily search/ask for this "code/exploit" whilst simultaneously negating much of any backlash caused by potential lag.
Return to Discussion