The Sun is speaking...
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Build 0.8.14 - Rearmed Redefined

by Daniel Sun Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Rearmed Reinvented
The Rearmed Armoury has been Reenvision, Reinvented if you will - completely Revamped and now Released. Rediscover the fully Realized Range of arms in Rearmed.

Before this update...
Rearmed launched into early access with a small selection of Weapons and Boosters. I always felt that the system was lacking in quantity, and in weapon choice. Rearmed only offers the choice of a better weapon, and in my opinion that is not enough choice.

Weapons should be competing against each other for the players attention. Different weapons should be better suited for certain tasks. There should be no Single Ultimate Sword that will forever eclipse any other choice.

There now, until now I have finally solved this!

What's new in 0.8.14?
A brand new weapon system with 50+ weapons!

Weapons now define your booster set. Each and every weapon has a different configuration of available booster slots as well as linked boosters that cannot be changed. Some weapons even have Ability Booster slots, with 2 maximum. Ability boosters are linked to [Q] and [W] on keyboard, or [X] and [Y] on controller.

Full Change Log
    Features & Updates
  • +50 weapons
  • More Unlocks
  • New Weapon/Booster system
  • New Booster - Speed Boost
  • New Booster - Extra Range
  • New Booster - Fire Ball
  • New Booster - Attack Lunge
    Fixes & balancing
  • Can use two Ability Boosters
  • Performance optimization
Apologies for this long waited update, I fell sick twice during the last month. Development has been incredibly challenging. Most of the work involved reworking the menus to accommodate the new weapon system. I also developed a new 'Weapon Designer' application to help me customize weapons quickly and feed the changes into the game engine.

The difficult part is now over - the game has never run more smoothly. Feedback on this update would be hugely appreciate! Please leave a comment in the forums :)
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

Re: Build 0.8.14 - Rearmed Redefined

by Blackout Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Oh boy... I guess I'll lead off with the stuff I really liked:

First off,
Thank you just so much.

Secondly (and perhaps the greatest thing I loved about this update), the camera has noticeably had some more work put into it since the previous version, and I love the game much more because of it. What I'm talking about specifically is, when engaged in combat(at least with non-bosses), the camera zooms in closer on the character. I love this new addition so much because in the those moments the game feels so much most like the originals, most notably like AwW2 where the camera is more zoomed in most of the time). The only two additional suggestions I can think of atm are either have the neutral camera zoomed out farther to make the game feel more like AwW1 or bring it in closer near or at where it is at now when fighting regular enemies to make the game feel more like AwW2, and bring back in Rearmed more of the camera functionalities that were present in the original game in special/unique situations(ex. the camera zooming in when approaching Vandheer up very close).

Other than those two things, the performance on Levels 27 and 32 are all the things I have to really compliment about the update.

Moving onto the things I found dissatisfying, the first one that comes to mind is overall performance. This has been one of the laggier updates, actually. When i restarted the game after level 25 crashed it, performance did improve, that can't all be attributed to the game's fresh relaunching, because straight off the bat at level 1 I was lagging much harder than in newer previous versions, and that persisted pretty consistently up to level 25.

Now on to what I suspect is the most intriguing aspect about this update to many: the revamped weapons.

As sweeping as it was, it's no secret that I only use Katana 95% of the time I play the game, so I don't really have much to say about all of the other weapons(and likely will not in a long time if ever), except that breaking away from the linear structure is nice and that it's probably a good thing that the god sword doesn't reign ultimately supreme anymore.

Having that said, though, I still structured this revamp into the "dissatisfied" portion of this post because of how it has affected my beloved Katana. Firstly, and I'm just going to say it, I'm not too fond of the fact that Katana has a power-up now. The appeal of Katana is that it is the least efficient weapon so the satisfaction reward of beating the game with it intensifies over other weapons. Forcing a player like myself who prefers playing the game as unequipped as possible for this very reason cheapens the experience.

This also plays into the Katana now having "competing" lowest tier weapons. Katan was unique in that it was without question the least effective weapon in the game(and maybe I'd argue that it still is), but bringing other weapons so close to it's level also serves to cheapen the satisfaction reward of progressing with Katana to a degree.

Lastly, generally overtime the trend seems to be that Katana has progressively become more and more effective as a weapon. Sometimes, this is along with all of the other weapons, and sometimes it's counterbalanced by enhancing the difficulty of levels and enemies. Regardless, Katana has received a noticeable buff since the previous version, which, as you may have guessed, I argue also cheapens the satisfaction of succeeding for the Katana player.

I'd like to suggest reverting Katana's state back to what it was in at least the previous version of the game(yes, ik that likely means I won't be able to get on top of the flag barrier cage thing in the tutorial). The only thing I'd suggest keeping is, now that swords determine number of power-ups, to keep Katana's at 2(or more preferably, 1) free slots so players can still experiment with power-ups with Katana. Actually, I would even support bringingg it up to 3 free slots if you really want to keep it competing with the other new lower tier sword, so I can just use none of the slots and be happy with my pseudo-paper-machete sword being just that.

And lastly, just as a reminder: custom key-binds plz :cry: :cry: :cry:
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:23 am

Thanks again for the feedback, as always :)
Quite a few interesting points you've made, I must adjust the build and get a new update out quickly.

I shall revert the Katana, super easy.
Interesting that the build is lagy, actually it's more optimized than ever. HOWEVER, I have noticed the game run far better in full screen than it does in window. Is it the same for you?

I'm also going to change up the weapons. I've actually created the 'Weapon Designer' app - it helps me customize weapons, make changes quickly and easily.
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

by Blackout Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 am

In regards to the full-screen/window thing, it's actually the complete OPPOSITE for me. Full-screen lags me to death as described in my previous reply, so then I downsized to window mode and the game has never run smoother. Been meaning to tell you this but was busy unlocking stuff ;) .

Also, couple things while I'm at it, I'm in the upper-mid tier of sword right now, and it seems those swords just aren't worth using for racking up points. Also, the swords with boosters others than HP regen are not practical either. The most practical weapon(at least for survival) that I have found is Hope.
Kaws
Shouting Nova
Shouting Nova

by Kaws Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:53 am

I did some tests, and Rearmed seems to run best at Above Normal priority(High is actually laggier), so you could try that.
Return to Announcements