Got an idea? Suggest it here!

Moderators: Blackout, VandheerLorde

Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

Combat Lines

by Blackout Wed May 13, 2015 2:55 pm

I don't really know what they're called, but I'm talking about these things:

With rearmed finally coming into view, I thought I'd give my two cents before it was too late :3. I'm just going to give a few quick reasons why these lines should at least be given a toggle, because they do actually affect the game in a usually negative way(at least for me).

1. They get in the way your character's attack animation(this isn't the biggest thing, but I like seeing my character performing his/her attack).

2. They work against the player being immersed into the game and AwW universe(clutter). What I mean by this, the more you remind the person that they are just playing the game, the less they will actually experience the game. For example, the earlier AwW games (especially the first one), there was not much to interface besides the health bar, and very little else to distract you from actually experience the game(because being the great games that the AwW series is, it is not all that hard to be immersed and absorbed into the AwW universe). However, jump to AwW3 and you can't help but notice that you are, in fact, just playing another game instead of being immersed into another universe altogether(cluttered interface, character upgrades, untogglable combo counter, combat lines, "impact animations"(idk what else to call them), other animations that linger on the screen and cover character and enemy sprites and their animations, etc...).

It's also worth noting that Culmination did a lot to eliminate stuff like this(even have the interface move mostly off the screen when you were running and not engaged in combat), but I think AwW 2 did the best regarding this and also combat in general, having no combat lines and having very brief impact animations that enhanced each attack and did not linger and clutter the screen.

3. Combat lines make powerful attacks feel puny. I know D-Sun is at least a fan of the Smash Bros. series, so I'll take an example from there: Whenever you land a fully charged standard attack(especially with King DeDeDe and Ike), or successfully annihilate someone a falcon punch, you can almost FEEL that attack utterly destroying that opponent. This is for 2 reasons:
1: Since the attack was not an instant hit, it took you some time(and luck) to land this powerful attack.
2: The appearance, animation, affect, and sound of the attack gives it the feel of "utterly destroying" your opponent.

While the first point CAN apply to AwW in some(very few) cases, this second point is where AwW excels(or at least did). Culmination did this perfectly with the "D" attack, but once again, I believe AwW 2 does this better in general. The first two attacks of Vandheer's standard attack are best feel destructive, and the 3rd final blow at least explosive. You can literally feel Vandheer's strength blowing apart his adversaries EVERY SINGLE TIME you attack(with the exception of some of the special attacks and the ice bolt). It's really a no brainer why fans of the series have asked if rearmed could have a combat system like AwW 2: the combat was just so fun(and for more reasons than just the one I mentioned above, but that is a big part of it). Combat lines take the intense, powerful, explosive, and incredibly fun aspect of an attack and reduces it to a thin streak in the air.

Also, if this post wasn't long enough already, it's worth pointing out that even though I'm not the biggest fan of AwW 3's combat system, I vastly preferred using karate instead of the sword attack because you could still feel the powerful blows of each hit, however its effectiveness seriously lacks in comparison to using the sword attack.

Lastly, in the beginning, I said combat lines usually affect the game in a bad way, but in Red Moon they actually work to the game's advantege. Eivanna is undoubtedly a flexible character who specializes in agility(and maybe even stealth). The combat lines help to make her attacks seem weaker, further enforcing that she is not a Vandheer like character, there to beat everyone up, and adds more uniqueness to the game as a whole apart from all of the others.

That was a lot longer than I thought it would be, and please excuse any typos, as I am working on a tablet and it's a bit tedious to go through these blocks of text and fix everything :(.

So yes, plz add a toggle if it isn't too much trouble :D.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Combat Lines

by Daniel Sun Sat May 16, 2015 11:53 pm

Awesome suggestions! I'll keep them in mind. I've created a new section to the forums, dedicated to Rearmed in Early Access! I think you should post things there so new people will be welcomed to your awesome theads :)
viewforum.php?f=34
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula

Re: Combat Lines

by Blackout Sun May 17, 2015 2:57 am

Daniel Sun wrote:Awesome suggestions! I'll keep them in mind. I've created a new section to the forums, dedicated to Rearmed in Early Access! I think you should post things there so new people will be welcomed to your awesome theads :)
viewforum.php?f=34

Oh sweet :D

Are you able to relocate topics by chance? I don't want to just duplicate the same threads(this and details) and create spam :cry: .
-
EDIT: Thank you.
Return to Suggestions & Impressions