I've spent a lot of hours on the game today. Most of what I've added is all behind the scenes stuff that will allow for easy implementation and control of levels. The workable file is already far more neat and tidy. The more organized the source code is, the quicker I can work. The color overlay is now handled with actionscript, it should be able to fade into different color hues, that will be very fun to do. I’ve thrown in the first level so far, the others I will add later once I’ve made the bird and combat mechanics.
It’s very interesting to make the same project all over again, because I know now how to avoid making the same mistakes that created problems. One example of this is depth control. Each object has a Depth number. The level might be 1, the hero might be 2 ect… the object with the higher number will be on top of ones with lower numbers. This became an annoying problem when I had too many objects to track. However, I’ve figured out a way to group similar objects together and assign a depth relative to that group.
At this rate, the game will be finished real soon.
PS, I'm also working on Contrast 6.