Got a knack for drawing? Show us what you got!
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

Re: First published art!

by Kesani Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:37 pm

I look forward to seeing your drawing Crimson. The more you draw, the better it will become. I was looking through some old drawings of mine the other day and let me tell you, they looked like crap lol. Then I looked at stuff closer to the present, but still from the past. A bit better , but still crap. Then I looked at something from a year ago. It was much better than my previous ones, but it's nothing compared to my current ones.
"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things...I'll destroy them all!" - Kefka Palazzo
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 am

I totally know what you mean Kesani. My old stuff was nothing more than scribbles. Literally. I think that this is my best pencil drawing i've made so far. I don't know if you can tell, but I did some minimal computer editing on this, to remove fold lines and text visible on the back side of the paper( I Drew this during class lol) I thought the edit job looked good earlier but now am not so sure. To lazy to redo. Anyways, tell me what you think, better than my other style our no?

PS, I sort of laugh at myself when I read that your drawing only took 20 minutes. This took me a good hour and a half. :/
Attachments
IMG_201207090908.jpg
IMG_201207090908.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Nice job Crimson. If I may give a request, could you draw a picture of a gargoyle? I can tell that the fantasy genre appeals to you and I would love to see another person's interpretation of one. There's only two pictures of yours, I must see more! And it takes 20 minutes for the sketch of the drawing, but going over them with micron pens is another story. I should submit some art lol, I've been super busy with the manga drawing and all. Although it isn't professional with manuscript papers since all I've got is a pencil and regular 8 1/2 by 11 paper.
"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things...I'll destroy them all!" - Kefka Palazzo
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Of course requests are fine. I would've asked for them, but I don't feel i'm good enough. I will work on making a gargoyle, but I am very busy this week and have never drawn one before, so it will take me a while to practice till I have one worthy of posting. As for taking 20 min to sketch, I am not sure what you mean. If you mean shape sketching for the different posts of the body (circle square whatever) I do not do this at all. I just start drawing. In the case of my dragon, I just start with the mouth, then eyes and horns, then neck. I don't really sketch and then draw over it, I just start drawing. Is that a bad thing? I guess I just don't have the patience to draw the whole thing "twice" lol. Expect the gargoyle in maybe 4 days.
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Lol it's not bad at all. I, too, did that in the beginning. After a while, I had trouble drawing characters in poses even with that stickman figure. I decided to draw it out as a stick figure, then see if it looks good to me. That way, I won't have to waste so much time erasing and redrawing an entire body. It's fine whatever way you draw it, so long as you are satisfied with the final result.

-- Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm --

I haven't been posting that many pictures lol. I was playing Destinia on my iPod and thought I would draw a picture of it. The game is truly awesome, artwork is nice too.

Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Yes, as long as I am happy, I do not care what others think about my drawings lol. Your destinia draw looks good! I will have to check that out, I have been looking for a good rpg for my Android. I am sorry it took a little longer than I said for the gargoyle, just been busy. I am rather disappointed with the gargoyle, so please (!) tell me what needs fixing next time. Idk why, but dragons are like ten times easier for me than anything else. I am very poor at perspective, so even dragons I cannot draw good bodies, just heads. I do think this helped with my shading some though(cause I did it like five times lol)
Attachments
IMG_2012071814212.jpg
IMG_2012071814212.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Whoa looks nice! The shading does do wonders to it! It makes me happy to hear of your ambition to make your drawings good :D If it were me, I would spread the eyes further and shape them into a more beady like shape so they look more menacing. Other than that, nice job. I commend your work!
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks, I am trying my best to improve. I am working on shading because I know it will make things look more 3d and "real" in a way. I am not really looking forward to drawing a dragon and shading it like that. All those scales take forever to draw already, and shading each one...meh. But I guess practice is the way to improve. Add for the eyes, I wanted to make them small black and shiny, but did not know how. They look kinda lame imo. Oh, also, thank you Kesani, I am now addicted to Destinia 8-)
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Lol no problem. Destinia seems to be the best game that Gamevil made. Shading is pretty useful since it can make it look more realistic rather than just a boring drawing. The farther the drawing should be, the darker you shade it. When you shade, you want to try and create lighter tones gradually so that they merge with each other and don't show great contrast to each other. No matter how long it takes, the more work you put into it, the more happy you will be with your final work.
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I've never thought about the farther away means darker shading thing, I usually just pick a direction I want the light to come from and shade accordingly. As for the rest, in my mind I think I pretty much know the theory, but putting it on paper is another story. My digital drawings usually look better in terms of shading, because I have more precise tools to work with.
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:05 pm

You're alive!! Lol haven't heard from you in a while. There are multiple factors to attribute to the drawing: light, strength of light, point of view, etc. You can make it easier by making them all placed in a normal way while making the others in a more professional sense. Digital artwork is better, although I have some trouble with it so I rarely use it.

-- Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 pm --

You're alive!! Lol haven't heard from you in a while. There are multiple factors to attribute to the drawing: light, strength of light, point of view, etc. You can make it easier by making them all placed in a normal way while making the others in a more professional sense. Digital artwork is better, although I have some trouble with it so I rarely use it.
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:00 am

Lol yeah it's been awhile. Wow never thought there was so many things that just go into shading! And I know it's harder, but if you practice a lot, digital art will become easier and easier and the results will be sooooo much better than what you can do with just pencil. Plus with all the textures, brushes, and colors, you're really making a painting rather than a drawing(for free!) Take the folowing pic for example, and compare it to my dragon drawing earlier in the thread. This one only took 15min longer, but there's no question as to which is better, imo. I think you could make some great digital stuff!
Attachments
peuf_20120730_2.png
peuf_20120730_2.png (154.27 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Whoa that is awesome. You have to teach me how to do digital art. I've always wanted to create a character in color without using markers and colored pencils lol. Digital art also makes the color more fine and flat. I tried using regular paint but I failed horribly. The outcome was really bad and nothing compared to my hand-drawn arts. Excellent job with your recent work!
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Crimson Thorn wrote:Kesani, I will say your new Brom is much closer to what I as thinking. For being "out of you comfort zone," that is very good! Once again you have inspired me to draw something lol. A break from my usual line art, a semi-realistic sketch this time. I will post it soon, after I scan it to my PC. @Mikoto, I had a feeling that you just used paint, but was hoping you didn't. It makes my drawings on GIMP seem very poor indeed lol. Both you guys keep up the good work!

-- Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 pm --

Kesani, I will say your new Brom is much closer to what I as thinking. For being "out of you comfort zone," that is very good! Once again you have inspired me to draw something lol. A break from my usual line art, a semi-realistic sketch this time. I will post it soon, after I scan it to my PC. @Mikoto, I had a feeling that you just used paint, but was hoping you didn't. It makes my drawings on GIMP seem very poor indeed lol. Both you guys keep up the good work!

Crimson Thorn, sorry))), I actually used the "paint"))) I tried the drawings in this program to edit in Photoshop) Hahahaha GHOSTS BUUUUUU
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm not sure how much I can teach you lol. I know you already are good, so the hardest things would be knowing how to use the software, whatever it is yo use, and you have to adjust you're style of drawing. Digital isn't as friendly to hard lines and later shading as pencils. You have to use a softer brush and sort of paint the whole thing as you go (of course, still make a rough sketch) If you REALLY want I can start pm'ing you add I think of things lol.

@Mikoto wow looks nice. I've always wanted to do something transparent like that, but could never succeed.
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:17 am

I've never tried to draw with color in Photoshop or paint, but you are so good! I also try: 3
Recommend a good program for drawing O_o
Transparency - hahaha, draw one pixel)))
Kesani, just experimenting and you will!)
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:37 pm

@ Crimson Thorn I believe I told you this before. I used paint to try and draw something but the shapes of the eyes and sizes of everything was not satisfactory. I have to ask, do you use lines or just regular freehand when using paint. I'll try to show you a picture of a work of mine on paint. The closest I've ever gotten to actually creating a picture online was editing a picture I drew so that the contrast would be brighter and the lines would be darker.

@ Mikoto Haven't heard from you in a while lol. Good to see you again. Nice work on the pics. I seriously have major trouble with drawing on paint. The best work I made was a scene of this stick figure animation lol. I experiment a lot, but still have trouble with some things. It's really hard to manuever the brush when I'm using a mouse pad.
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:19 am

Kesani wrote:@ Crimson Thorn I believe I told you this before. I used paint to try and draw something but the shapes of the eyes and sizes of everything was not satisfactory. I have to ask, do you use lines or just regular freehand when using paint. I'll try to show you a picture of a work of mine on paint. The closest I've ever gotten to actually creating a picture online was editing a picture I drew so that the contrast would be brighter and the lines would be darker.

@ Mikoto Haven't heard from you in a while lol. Good to see you again. Nice work on the pics. I seriously have major trouble with drawing on paint. The best work I made was a scene of this stick figure animation lol. I experiment a lot, but still have trouble with some things. It's really hard to manuever the brush when I'm using a mouse pad.

No, I drew lines T_T I wanted to make sure that the room with the picture was very different from the "realism" of ghosts)
I was in a sanatorium O_O, thank you)
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:51 pm

When you guys say you are using paint, do you mean paint.net online, or "paint" the program that comes with your computer? Kesani, everything I draw is one hundred percent freehand drawing. I am guessing the reason your shapes aren't coming out as you would like is because you are using just a mouse? Mikoto has said he uses a mouse, but I couldn't even draw a good stickman using a mouse lol. Some srt of tablet will make the drawing motions much more natural and easy. That's just my experience.
@Mikoto. You said suggest a good drawing program. I think you said you have Photoshop? I have never used it (I don't have the money to pay for it lol) but it's what most people prefer to use. If you don't have Photoshop, you could try downloading GIMP off the internet. That's what I use.
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Crimson Thorn wrote:When you guys say you are using paint, do you mean paint.net online, or "paint" the program that comes with your computer? Kesani, everything I draw is one hundred percent freehand drawing. I am guessing the reason your shapes aren't coming out as you would like is because you are using just a mouse? Mikoto has said he uses a mouse, but I couldn't even draw a good stickman using a mouse lol. Some srt of tablet will make the drawing motions much more natural and easy. That's just my experience.
@Mikoto. You said suggest a good drawing program. I think you said you have Photoshop? I have never used it (I don't have the money to pay for it lol) but it's what most people prefer to use. If you don't have Photoshop, you could try downloading GIMP off the internet. That's what I use.

No, I need the offline software specifically for the drawing: 3 I heard somewhere about this, but I do not know the name and so I ask you.
Yes, I paint in "paint" that is attached to a computer program stuffing hahahahah
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Oh, no wonder lol. I was reading a Comickers magazine, specifically the section about online artwork, but I was sort of confused by it. I guess some people have their own style of creating online artwork. Crimson, when you say that your artwork is 100% freehand drawing, do you mean that you draw a basic outline of the picture and then edit it on an online software? I've tried doing that before, but I was confused with the tutorial and gave up halfway. I was going to buy a stylus to do the drawing, but I seem to be busy every single time I plan on going to get one. I'll try to get my hands on a new tablet as well. Thanks.

Mikoto, if I may ask, where did you learn to use the paint software to create such astounding works. If you used a tutorial, could I get the link?

I only used line so there is a very good reason why this looks like crap:

This is the original hand drawn version:
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Kesani wrote:Oh, no wonder lol. I was reading a Comickers magazine, specifically the section about online artwork, but I was sort of confused by it. I guess some people have their own style of creating online artwork. Crimson, when you say that your artwork is 100% freehand drawing, do you mean that you draw a basic outline of the picture and then edit it on an online software? I've tried doing that before, but I was confused with the tutorial and gave up halfway. I was going to buy a stylus to do the drawing, but I seem to be busy every single time I plan on going to get one. I'll try to get my hands on a new tablet as well. Thanks.

Mikoto, if I may ask, where did you learn to use the paint software to create such astounding works. If you used a tutorial, could I get the link?

I only used line so there is a very good reason why this looks like crap:

This is the original hand drawn version:

Ahahahaha Kesani, "software" - usually "paint" Hahahaha
Stunning work _? AHHAHAHAHA I painted them a short time :/ But thank you very much, I'm surprised by the praise O_o
Well, honestly, I was a little taken advantage of Photoshop to give realistic figures) on any books, I never learned, just improvising - it was boring and 2:00 am Ahahaha I love to draw all sorts of terrible things BUUUU O_o
Kesani, paint in "paint" a very easy, but it should not do, "Lines" and "pencil" or "brush" - draw a pixel on) Good luck)
Oh, yeah, I really want to see your work. You EXCELLENT paint, and I want to adopt your style
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks Mikoto. My style in paint is actually attempting to copy my hand drawn works. I've been using lines the entire time because I use my mouse pad rather than a regular mouse and my hand tends to get a bit shaky when I'm doing freehand painting. I'm going to keep at it and hope I get better lol. Thanks for encouragement.
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Mikoto, there are LOTS of drawing programs that don't require internet. Really too many for me to name so I would suggest googling it. Artweaver, twisted brush, GIMP...those are just a few. Or of course, you could buy a more professional program rather than using free ones.
@Kesani, No, I don't draw on paper first and then edit, if that is what you mean. Also, I don't use online software at all. My internet is pretty slow, and I don't want to have to load up a page every time I want to draw. Besides that, since they're browser based, they're usually not nearly as powerful as a "normal" software. All my drawings begin and end in GIMP lol.
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:02 pm

I see. I think I'll try to use GIMP for future digital works. I think I've started to get the hang of the paint software for my works, but that's just my opinion lol. I feel you guys should decide whether or not it's good.

Here's the original:

Paint version:
Return to Art/Graphics/Illustration