Got a knack for drawing? Show us what you got!
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

Share your works! Get feedback!

by 16thSquadSanseki Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 pm

As the title says ^^ We started discussion in Crimson Thorn's topic but we decided it should be separate :P
Mostly for drawings but I guess some other stuff could go here too since I myself make graphics and colorings too.

Not recommended for people reacting badly to critique. Though we will try not to be harsh and will give constructive criticism :)

-- Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm --

Kesani wrote:@Sanseki, thanks I will try to add more details when I ink it and erase the sketched lines so all the details won't appear jumbled together. It's just the fist being clenched lol. I didn't really know how else I should draw the hand so I figured it would be okay. I understand how you feel with the comments praising the work lol. I myself do that quite often because I'm captivated by the art and don't really focus on what's missing. I call it my, "Ooooh, shiny" state lol. I seriously just lose all my thoughts once I see a really good artwork. Look forward to it, I will definitely give my utmost feedback on it!

Well, I'm generally not too good at drawing hands ^^; I keep trying to use my own as reference but it turns out so-so.

And of course, such comments are nice too, at least I know people like it. But sometimes I even ask about stuff in description but I'm not sure how many people even read it.

Anyway, I uploaded some of the drawings:
Since Mikoto asked, here are pics. They're big, I warn you :P

Expectations & Reality: SC (click for description!)

The Rider of Skype Snail (click for description!)

Art Ninja (click for description!)

Neko Ninja (click for description!)
My Art Thread | My Portfolio || 16thSquadSanseki on: deviantART | Twitter | tumblr || Avatar: Zergling by CarBot Animations
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

Re: Share your works! Get feedback!

by Kesani Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 am

Mmm, I think I get a general idea of what your art style is now. I gotta say, I'm surprised lol. At first, I figured it would be more of a manga style, but I suppose it's not after seeing this. Nevertheless it is a unique style and I enjoy viewing these types of artwork very much. I suppose it's time for me to return the favor for your advice on my drawing :) . I hope this is the right feedback though :| , since I can't really tell how you attempted to have the drawing look like. For the most part, I would say to try and make the head a bit less round and brush up on the hands of your characters. I had trouble with that too in the beginning, but I looked at references and drew larger images of them to capture all the details. Gradually, I was able to draw them at any desirable size. Of course, it still serves as a problem for me. Also, I couldn't help but notice that the girls lacked eyelashes. For Neko Ninja, it seemed that the right leg was a bit thinner than the right one. I can't see the full left leg so I'm not so sure, but I don't want to keep quiet about it. For the most part, the artwork is really well done. Your first one made me laugh so hard XD. My favorite is the art ninja. Very creative of you, and as an artist, it captivates me. I look forward to seeing more from you.
"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things...I'll destroy them all!" - Kefka Palazzo
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:13 am

n0pe
Last edited by Mikoto on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:11 am

Kesani wrote:Mmm, I think I get a general idea of what your art style is now. I gotta say, I'm surprised lol. At first, I figured it would be more of a manga style, but I suppose it's not after seeing this. Nevertheless it is a unique style and I enjoy viewing these types of artwork very much. I suppose it's time for me to return the favor for your advice on my drawing :) . I hope this is the right feedback though :| , since I can't really tell how you attempted to have the drawing look like. For the most part, I would say to try and make the head a bit less round and brush up on the hands of your characters. I had trouble with that too in the beginning, but I looked at references and drew larger images of them to capture all the details. Gradually, I was able to draw them at any desirable size. Of course, it still serves as a problem for me. Also, I couldn't help but notice that the girls lacked eyelashes. For Neko Ninja, it seemed that the right leg was a bit thinner than the right one. I can't see the full left leg so I'm not so sure, but I don't want to keep quiet about it. For the most part, the artwork is really well done. Your first one made me laugh so hard XD. My favorite is the art ninja. Very creative of you, and as an artist, it captivates me. I look forward to seeing more from you.

TBH, it is manga-ish style. I still haven't actually developed so called "my style" but I was learning on Bleach (actually one of my first serious drawings was copying the panels). And Bleach is said to have one of the most realistic art styles (which I love). If by any chance you don't know Bleach, look it up xD But the more recent chapters, let's say around 400.

Yeah, round heads, I'm working on it but it's hard. But I used to draw even worse xD I fixed it more or less with front view but I still have problem with profiles.
And hands aren't my strongest point, that's why I'm so amazed if someone can draw them well

The eyelashes part, actually the Skype Snail one has tiny tiny eyelashes xD But I know what you mean. And I kinda have problem with that because I have a feeling that then the character will turn out too girly and usually that's not what I want. But I'll try.

Yep, I messed up the legs of Neko Ninja *shrug* They kept looking weird to me and well...

Glad you find it funny :P I'm actually not that mad usually but sometimes... xD Like recently the guy did 2-gate proxy, ughhhh

The Art Ninja is a actually a joke between me and my friend. She draws for me sometimes and that time she drew me as a ninja because I was appearing out of nowhere and I decided to make my own version and added few details related to me :D And yeah, I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

Mikoto wrote:you have all the figures neat, cool!
handwriting
I like the handwriting O_O
and I like these mugs at the monitor, it's great when you have so many mugs
it necessarily had to trace? _?
you also have a style associated with the distortion of proportions!
and with care!
it's great.
smaller, less detail in the clothes! will look stylish and you will create your own comics ♥
I think I have a little more experience in drawing the human body, so I would suggest you
rubbings of torso with you))))
Try to sit down, as this ninja!
please draw someone's face painte, hit or miss, but please!
I'm sorry, I'm writing all the time row
I also have this style is ahahahaha

Well, I actually did such pose as the ninja xD I often use myself as a reference. And if you mean that her body is a bit too short, you're right but that was intentional since she had to lean a little to be in such pose. Later I kinda forgot about that, so some details are messed up >.>"

Face paint? You mean like make-up? o.o
My Art Thread | My Portfolio || 16thSquadSanseki on: deviantART | Twitter | tumblr || Avatar: Zergling by CarBot Animations
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 am

n0pe
Last edited by Mikoto on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Mikoto wrote:But no, it is possible and without makeup
But no, there is a normal body
let's draw nudity!
Do some lines thicker, drawing looks static (
more, play more proportions, it looks cool
and
legs do not always have to be exactly the same
Try different angles
in this style would be great

The most nudity I've drawn was this one: [link] xD I could try topless but don't ask me for full nude :P
And yeah, my drawings are pretty static :/ Not sure how to fix it
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 pm

16thSquadSanseki wrote:
Kesani wrote:Mmm, I think I get a general idea of what your art style is now. I gotta say, I'm surprised lol. At first, I figured it would be more of a manga style, but I suppose it's not after seeing this. Nevertheless it is a unique style and I enjoy viewing these types of artwork very much. I suppose it's time for me to return the favor for your advice on my drawing :) . I hope this is the right feedback though :| , since I can't really tell how you attempted to have the drawing look like. For the most part, I would say to try and make the head a bit less round and brush up on the hands of your characters. I had trouble with that too in the beginning, but I looked at references and drew larger images of them to capture all the details. Gradually, I was able to draw them at any desirable size. Of course, it still serves as a problem for me. Also, I couldn't help but notice that the girls lacked eyelashes. For Neko Ninja, it seemed that the right leg was a bit thinner than the right one. I can't see the full left leg so I'm not so sure, but I don't want to keep quiet about it. For the most part, the artwork is really well done. Your first one made me laugh so hard XD. My favorite is the art ninja. Very creative of you, and as an artist, it captivates me. I look forward to seeing more from you.

TBH, it is manga-ish style. I still haven't actually developed so called "my style" but I was learning on Bleach (actually one of my first serious drawings was copying the panels). And Bleach is said to have one of the most realistic art styles (which I love). If by any chance you don't know Bleach, look it up xD But the more recent chapters, let's say around 400.

Yeah, round heads, I'm working on it but it's hard. But I used to draw even worse xD I fixed it more or less with front view but I still have problem with profiles.
And hands aren't my strongest point, that's why I'm so amazed if someone can draw them well

The eyelashes part, actually the Skype Snail one has tiny tiny eyelashes xD But I know what you mean. And I kinda have problem with that because I have a feeling that then the character will turn out too girly and usually that's not what I want. But I'll try.

Yep, I messed up the legs of Neko Ninja *shrug* They kept looking weird to me and well...

Glad you find it funny :P I'm actually not that mad usually but sometimes... xD Like recently the guy did 2-gate proxy, ughhhh

The Art Ninja is a actually a joke between me and my friend. She draws for me sometimes and that time she drew me as a ninja because I was appearing out of nowhere and I decided to make my own version and added few details related to me :D And yeah, I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

Lol I know Bleach quite well lol. I've noticed that too when I was a kid and read other things like Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto. And after looking a second time, I noticed the eyelash. I get that, that's why whenever I draw female characters, I usually make sure that they look badass XD. I have one of those art figures (mannequins or whatever you call them lol) so I tend to use them for a reference when I give my characters certain poses. I wouldn't say that you should get one, but they can help. If not, just search up images online for the poses. I usually do that when a certain pose I've drawn is bugging me. Lol, don't get me started with everyone's "camping issues" on FPS games. Yeah, I enjoy artwork like that. Sometimes it's not always about the quality of the drawing, but the drawing itself. I mean, you look at a regular ninja and you're like, looks good, but not much else. You give it a very captivating attribute and you get yourself something very interesting. I look forward to seeing more of that type of artwork from you. Don't worry, we all start off at some point with errors (except for those god damn geniuses who I'm jealous of XD). It takes some time, but eventually we fix these errors and make better art :)
"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things...I'll destroy them all!" - Kefka Palazzo
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:59 am

n0pe
Last edited by Mikoto on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 am

Kesani wrote:
16thSquadSanseki wrote:TBH, it is manga-ish style. I still haven't actually developed so called "my style" but I was learning on Bleach (actually one of my first serious drawings was copying the panels). And Bleach is said to have one of the most realistic art styles (which I love). If by any chance you don't know Bleach, look it up xD But the more recent chapters, let's say around 400.

Lol I know Bleach quite well lol. I've noticed that too when I was a kid and read other things like Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto. And after looking a second time, I noticed the eyelash. I get that, that's why whenever I draw female characters, I usually make sure that they look badass XD. I have one of those art figures (mannequins or whatever you call them lol) so I tend to use them for a reference when I give my characters certain poses. I wouldn't say that you should get one, but they can help. If not, just search up images online for the poses. I usually do that when a certain pose I've drawn is bugging me. Lol, don't get me started with everyone's "camping issues" on FPS games. Yeah, I enjoy artwork like that. Sometimes it's not always about the quality of the drawing, but the drawing itself. I mean, you look at a regular ninja and you're like, looks good, but not much else. You give it a very captivating attribute and you get yourself something very interesting. I look forward to seeing more of that type of artwork from you. Don't worry, we all start off at some point with errors (except for those god damn geniuses who I'm jealous of XD). It takes some time, but eventually we fix these errors and make better art :)

Art figures? I was thinking about that but figure can't do everything and... I dunno. But I would totally get Quma xD [Qumarion]

But yeah, sometimes I look for images, but I try to draw without it now.

Well, I'm planning to "digitalize" some of the drawings when I get a tablet. Maybe then I'll also draw more stuff like that :D

Nah, even geniuses have to practice on the beginning :P

Mikoto wrote:
16thSquadSanseki wrote:
Mikoto wrote:But no, it is possible and without makeup
But no, there is a normal body
let's draw nudity!
Do some lines thicker, drawing looks static (
more, play more proportions, it looks cool
and
legs do not always have to be exactly the same
Try different angles
in this style would be great

The most nudity I've drawn was this one: [link] xD I could try topless but don't ask me for full nude :P
And yeah, my drawings are pretty static :/ Not sure how to fix it

ну, если можно и вы не против, я могу показать
если позволите позаимствовать ваш стиль ненадолго
?_?
Well, if you can, and you do not mind, I can show
if I may borrow your style for long

S-Sure. And what do you mean by borrow? o.o

-- Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:22 pm --

I bought a graphic tablet and I thought I'll share what I made. I'm still learning but I think it's pretty good for day 2 :D

http://16thsquadsanseki.deviantart.com/ ... -381927083

I know, there are so many mistakes but I love it xD Especially the hair
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 pm

I like this one a lot, good use of the grey in the hair. Keep it up with that tablet lol
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:48 am

n0pe
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:21 am

Crimson Thorn wrote:I like this one a lot, good use of the grey in the hair. Keep it up with that tablet lol

Thank you :3

Mikoto wrote:Очень красиво! Сделайте анимацию на эту тему О_О
Ну линии чуть-чуть поровнее сделать :3

Спасибо :D Не волнуйтесь, я планирую, чтобы заботиться о анимации позже :D Но, вероятно, не для изображения, потому что это является иллюстрацией вдохновляемые песней. Я мог бы попытаться сделать на нее клип, но это займет много времени, и она появляется только в одном стихе.
Liniya vyglyadet' s programmoy , kotoruyu ya ispol'zuyu :/ Я купил его вместе с планшетом, это есть Manga Studio Debut. На следующей неделе, я попробую Paint Tool SAI.

Thank you :D Don't worry, I'm planning to take care of animation later :D But probably not for this picture since it's an illustration inspired by a song. I could try to make a videoclip for it but it would take much time and the girl appears only in 1 verse.
And the lines look like that because of the program I'm using :/ I bought it together with the tablet, it's Manga Studio Debut. I will try Paint Tool SAI next week though.
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:06 pm

n0pe
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Looks great! For your first attempt using a drawing tablet, I must say it's really good. I haven't been using mine too much since I haven't really been satisfied with the works. I think I will come back to it. This time, I will use Paint Tool SAI. I've been using Photoshop the entire time so I am curious to see the results.
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Mikoto wrote:саи? ура!
я никак не могу в нём рисовать
а так хочется(

Почему?

Why?

Kesani wrote:Looks great! For your first attempt using a drawing tablet, I must say it's really good. I haven't been using mine too much since I haven't really been satisfied with the works. I think I will come back to it. This time, I will use Paint Tool SAI. I've been using Photoshop the entire time so I am curious to see the results.

Well, I doodled a bit on the day 1 but it was first serious one with sketch and everything. And making a second one I discovered a new tool x.x So there will be at least 2 more works coming before I try out SAI.

I think I may be a bit of a "cheater" because I used to make lots of stuff with mouse, even doodles sometimes [link] [link] (I have pretty steady hand), so I don't have that big problem with switching from paper to tablet and screen. But I still have to learn a lot. And I'd use GIMP but it seems it doesn't have Pressure Size mode (or I have to get it somehow, I don't know), so it's not really good for my kind of drawings.
Kesani
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Kesani Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:00 am

Lol nah, tbh I think it would be more astounding that you were able to draw with the mouse. I've tried on numerous occasions, but not once have I been able to produce a work of art that I was actually satisfied with. I'm used to drawing with a pencil or something, so the lines I make aren't very precise. If I were to draw with a pencil, I could make five lines and they would appear to be one single line. If I did it with a mouse, it would look like 5 squiggly worms. For me, the tablet is the best by far, although I wish I had the ones that allowed you to see what you drew on the tablet instead of having to look up at the computer screen every few seconds. I've started using SAI and I must say, I'm quite comfortable using it. It's much better and expresses shadowing and shading vividly. I highly recommend using it.
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm

n0pe
Last edited by Mikoto on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 am

@16thSS: If in GIMP you mean a tool that changes brush size in relation to the amount of pressure you're using, I can say from experience that it does have that. Im not quite sure how I got it to work though lol. If you google gimp paint studio you can find a site that guides you through downloading and installing gimp paint studio which makes gimp much more art friendly. Its what I use.
And Kesani you had better start saving if you want a tablet like that XD And its funny you complain about having to look at the screen every few seconds, because when I use mine I look at the screen the whole time and let my hand move on its own. I don't know if its just me, but it might help if you tried it, Idk.
And lastly, another quick sketch I did, this time of a darker Lone Warrior. Let the opinions fly
Attachments
IMG_2013071044424.jpg
IMG_2013071044424.jpg (56.31 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:09 am

Kesani wrote:Lol nah, tbh I think it would be more astounding that you were able to draw with the mouse. I've tried on numerous occasions, but not once have I been able to produce a work of art that I was actually satisfied with. I'm used to drawing with a pencil or something, so the lines I make aren't very precise. If I were to draw with a pencil, I could make five lines and they would appear to be one single line. If I did it with a mouse, it would look like 5 squiggly worms. For me, the tablet is the best by far, although I wish I had the ones that allowed you to see what you drew on the tablet instead of having to look up at the computer screen every few seconds. I've started using SAI and I must say, I'm quite comfortable using it. It's much better and expresses shadowing and shading vividly. I highly recommend using it.

Well, I never was good at sketching TBH. I have clear one-line manga-ish style :D I can't really shade either >.>"
I still could work with Manga Studio a bit but I guess I'll try out SAI since everyone is recommending it. Though dunno when exactly, so much to do, so little time x.x

Mikoto wrote:Я не могу в нём разобраться :D И использую лишь самые простые инструменты.
Я смотрю на чужие работы на "Зерочане", и удивляюсь мягкости переходов между цветами. Это выглядит красиво и зачастую составляет главное впечатление о рисунке.
У меня есть много уроков по рисованию в "САИ"...
Как вы там вообще рисуете?_?
Вы хорошо знаете русский?

Ну, САИ это продвинутая программа, так это, конечно, сложно. На данный момент я не могу помочь вам, потому что вы не использовали его, но есть много учебников. Я ищу инструкции по deviantART, они находятся в специальной папке [link] но они в основном для GIMP.
На данный момент, я мало что могу сделать, я могу только попытаться перевести что-то для вас с помощью Google :/

Well, SAI is advanced program, so it may be complicated for sure. I can't help for now since I haven't used it but there are many tutorials. I look for tutorials on deviantART, I even have special folder for that [link] but they're mostly for GIMP for now. (bold for Crimson)
There's not much I can do for now, I can only try to translate it for you with Google :/

Crimson Thorn wrote:@16thSS: If in GIMP you mean a tool that changes brush size in relation to the amount of pressure you're using, I can say from experience that it does have that. Im not quite sure how I got it to work though lol. If you google gimp paint studio you can find a site that guides you through downloading and installing gimp paint studio which makes gimp much more art friendly. Its what I use.
And Kesani you had better start saving if you want a tablet like that XD And its funny you complain about having to look at the screen every few seconds, because when I use mine I look at the screen the whole time and let my hand move on its own. I don't know if its just me, but it might help if you tried it, Idk.
And lastly, another quick sketch I did, this time of a darker Lone Warrior. Let the opinions fly

Oh, that's interesting, thanks. Maybe I'll look it up later :P

And it's nice, the head looks better :P It's still wide but that's more a matter of style, so I won't complain, I'm just used to slim heads. Apart from that, I think the right arm looks a bit short (comparing to hand for example). I guess you meant to make it bend a little but it's not really visible.
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:36 pm

n0pe
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 am

Bandys wrote:Fuck your void rays :DDD this first i like :D

Mikoto wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA not pencil tracing your drawings over a hundred times!
sorry ._.
Нет, уроки, которые я нашла, они все на русском и очень понятные. просто мне лень переучиваться. Но я думаю, что, поборов лень, я смогу создавать очень красивые арты
надеюсь
No, the lessons that I have found all of them in Russian and very clear. I just too lazy to re-learn. But I think that, having overcome laziness, I can create very beautiful arts
I hope
Wow, we have a new member
hello

Yeah, you are talented, so it will be nice probably :P
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:47 am

n0pe
16thSquadSanseki
Black Hole
Black Hole

by 16thSquadSanseki Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Mikoto wrote:как побороть лень?
how to overcome laziness?

-- Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 am --

To draw the human body in different poses is this very good site.
http://www.posemaniacs.com

I'm lazy myself :P

That could be useful...

Anyway, I drew a thing. It's my first drawing in SAI, it's much more comfortable than Manga Studio IMO. The character is my old Bleach OC Kurorai "dressed" as a Flame Atronach from Skyrim. I'm planning to color it later but here's the sketch. There's a tone of anatomical mistakes but oh well xD
Shadow Atronach
Crimson Thorn
Core Nova
Core Nova

by Crimson Thorn Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:23 am

Looks good Sanseki. could maybe use more "smoothness" if that makes sense but overall good. Been awhile, but I was able to beat away laziness long enough to make another lone warrior fan art thingy.
Attachments
IMG_20130730_172221-719072788.jpg
IMG_20130730_172221-719072788.jpg (221.24 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Mikoto
Ultra Nova
Ultra Nova

by Mikoto Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:43 am

n0pe
Last edited by Mikoto on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to Art/Graphics/Illustration