General chit-chat here..
User avatar
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 pm

"Best" Order to Play Armed with Wings?

by Blackout Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:33 pm

"Well duh, Blackout: it's obviously 1, 2, Red Moon, 3 and Culmimation" you might be thinking give or take Red Moon, but I thought it'd be interesting to think about how a player might view the series differently based upon which order the AwW games are played in.

For example, the order I actually played them in was 2, 1, Red Moon, 3, and Culmination. The biggest impact that I can attest to this having on my view and experience of AwW is that I like Lone Warrior a lot more because of it than I likely would have have I played through the games in the "proper" order. Why? Because when starring off at AwW 2, LW is presented to the player as powerful and mysterious(and not to mention a total boss), with the revelation of what it truly meant to be Armed with Wings solidifying his status as my all time favorite character from the AwW universe. Having that said, as I have stated previously, you can only imagine the thrill I had when I discovered that you actually got to play as him in the first game.

So aside from the classic lineup, here are a couple of play orders that I think would be interesting for one to go through when encountering AwW for the first time:

• 2, 1, R, 3, C
- Same reasons as above.

• 3, 1, 2, C, R
- This type of lineup is the one I'm actually interested in the most. There's enough background info in AwW3 to lead the player to be asking some questions about what had taken place beforehand. Additionally, the transition from AwW 2 directly to Culmination will bring the player back to the most current era of the AwW universe, while further highlighting how much change has taken place by juxtaposing the two different time periods and the most prominent characters of those time periods, with Red Moon at the very end just to satisfy that AwW sweet tooth.

• 3, 2, 1, C, R
- This out of the two similar ones is the one I am most cautious, however, most curious about. Same as previous except 1 & 2 switched so as to not put off the player from such a stark quality contrast between AwW2 and Rearmed, as well as also possibly replicating the positive effects of the first listed order.


In what order did you all first play the AwW games and which order would you recommend/be interested to see a friend or someone else to play through?
User avatar
DarklordMogrithe
Core Nova
Core Nova
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:46 am
Location: United States

Re: "Best" Order to Play Armed with Wings?

by DarklordMogrithe Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:20 am

Blackout wrote:3, 1, 2, C, R


I think this is actually close to the order I first played them in. I was hooked by 3's storyline and RPG-like gameplay, and then I played the first two for more backstory. I was then hyped for Culmination (it hadn't been released yet), and I played it a lot when it came out. I did play Red Moon before then, though, but I think this order is what got me enthralled. To this day, I still think Culmination and Rearmed have the best combat systems out of all similar games.

Since Rearmed is on Steam and has the biggest group of new players, most of them will be starting on it. This presents a dilemma for our perfect play order. If they were then to continue onto AwW2, they would probably be disappointed in the game's far less polished style. I've noticed, though, that 2 isn't necessarily needed to continue the story, since it ends similarly to 1/Rearmed. This way, Rearmed players could go on to 3 and Culmination and still get the full sense of the story. Any thoughts on this?
User avatar
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: "Best" Order to Play Armed with Wings?

by Blackout Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:17 pm

DarklordMogrithe wrote:Since Rearmed is on Steam and has the biggest group of new players, most of them will be starting on it. This presents a dilemma for our perfect play order. If they were then to continue onto AwW2, they would probably be disappointed in the game's far less polished style. I've noticed, though, that 2 isn't necessarily needed to continue the story, since it ends similarly to 1/Rearmed. This way, Rearmed players could go on to 3 and Culmination and still get the full sense of the story. Any thoughts on this?

I'd have to disagree. AwW2 plays a critical part in understanding what the core of being Armed with Wings is, hence the reason I remember being so excited to know I would be playing as AwW in the first game after having completed the second. AwW3 does make AwW2 less vital in that regard, but it is still necessary in getting the most complete picture of what it means to be Armed with Wings.
User avatar
DarklordMogrithe
Core Nova
Core Nova
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:46 am
Location: United States

Re: "Best" Order to Play Armed with Wings?

by DarklordMogrithe Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Blackout wrote:I'd have to disagree. AwW2 plays a critical part in understanding what the core of being Armed with Wings is, hence the reason I remember being so excited to know I would be playing as AwW in the first game after having completed the second. AwW3 does make AwW2 less vital in that regard, but it is still necessary in getting the most complete picture of what it means to be Armed with Wings.


I see what you're saying, but that doesn't mean there's not a huge difference in gameplay and style between the two games. It definitely isn't "unnecessary" story-wise, but it's not as immediately enjoyable since it's an older game. Because of all this, I have no clue what the best order is after Rearmed... :?
User avatar
Blackout
Eagle Nebula
Eagle Nebula
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: "Best" Order to Play Armed with Wings?

by Blackout Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:03 pm

DarklordMogrithe wrote:I see what you're saying, but that doesn't mean there's not a huge difference in gameplay and style between the two games. It definitely isn't "unnecessary" story-wise, but it's not as immediately enjoyable since it's an older game. Because of all this, I have no clue what the best order is after Rearmed... :?

I thought about this and quickly reasoned that going from 3, 2, Rearmed would just further complicate things, but thinking about it deeper, it could just serve to just further enhance the fan reception of LW.

Also, I'm really interested to see Dan's opinion on all of this, especially if he has a preferred order of his own in contrast to the classic route, as well if this thread has so far had an impact on his thinking. in terms of it.
Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests