General chit-chat here..
QwertyFail
Black Mist
Black Mist

Hello Again

by QwertyFail Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 am

Hello again folks. It's been what, almost two or three years since I've last posted here on this forum? No matter, life took me places and now I've finally found the time to return here after all this time.

So what have I been up to? Well, it's my last year in high school and next year I'll be attending university. It finally feels good to be independent very soon, but hey, I know nothing about living on my own just yet. Aside from that, I spent a few months back learning C++, and eventually I switched to it from Flash AS3 after I absolutely fell in love with programming in C++. It still was a pain in the ass but getting down and dirty with one of the fundamental languages of computer science felt really good and satisfying.

And after about two years of messing around in C++, I've coded the basics of my new game engine, which I've been using to develop my first game. If any of you knew me from before, you guys probably would have known I was making another game in Flash. To keep things short, I cancelled it. Not because I didn't have time for it but because it felt too uninspired. If any of you can still find a preview of it somewhere on the forums, you can clearly see it took WAY too much inspiration from Armed with WIngs, and ultimately felt like a clone of some sorts.

But putting that all aside, it feels great to be back. I would personally like to thank Daniel for inspiring me to get into game development, as these few years have taught me many things in the community. To think I didn't know any knowledge of programming or the sorts before playing Armed with Wings now seems almost impossible, but it's true. If any of you wanna chat me up, feel free to do so!
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

Re: Hello Again

by Omar Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:37 am

Welcome back twerp.
Good to hear you're alive and well. I see you learned C++ all these years you've been gone.
Me? Nothing much. I've been working on my own projects.
Here's one of them.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1344
I'm a bit busy to even write something about me all these years. Maybe this will impress you.

Do you have any games of yours?
Nameless1
Nebula
Nebula

by Nameless1 Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:00 am

Qwert! Hey buddy!
Make guns not war.

I'm water person, think of a Pisces with a longsword.
QwertyFail
Black Mist
Black Mist

by QwertyFail Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:09 am

Omar wrote:Welcome back twerp.
Good to hear you're alive and well. I see you learned C++ all these years you've been gone.
Here's one of them.
I'm a bit busy to even write something about me all these years. Maybe this will impress you.

Your project looks really interesting! I'm curious of the engine it runs on. Is it your own creation for something closer to RPG Maker?

And with my game, I can't really share it with you guys at this moment. There are some art assets that don't belong to me and I'm working with a few other people on more than just my game. Hopefully when the time comes I could share a few bits with you guys!
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:46 am

QwertyFail wrote:
Omar wrote:Welcome back twerp.
Here's one of them.

Your project looks really interesting! I'm curious of the engine it runs on. Is it your own creation for something closer to RPG Maker?

And with my game, I can't really share it with you guys at this moment. There are some art assets that don't belong to me and I'm working with a few other people on more than just my game. Hopefully when the time comes I could share a few bits with you guys!

I use RPG MAKER. You gotta start at one point for game developing, it's certainly not a game engine to start with as it is too limited. That's why I've started to learn C# and JavaScript for Unity, as Unity does not limit you in any way. Of course game engines like Unreal Engine is something everyone should be on. But Unity is a perfect way to learn how everything works in game engines.

I started to game develop 4 years ago but became a writer a year ago. As you can see, I started writing because of a ex-girlfriend of mine. Everything started because of a relationship, a serious and strong relationship. My girlfriend rather ex-girlfriend loved books and she had a lot of favorite authors. She always loved well made stories and loved to read them. I myself started to write stories and she would always give me tips and advice from them. We looked like the perfect pair who seemed unbreakable, but we've broken up, sadly.

I then entered into a deep state of depression, I've gotten really skinny and didn't know what to do with my life. I would always go to work hiding my emotions and just go to my room to turn off the lights off and listen to music all day. I then bumped into my old notebooks and saw my old stories... I later then read them and inspired myself to go to poetry and literature clubs. I learned in Poetry that you can be expressive and free. That's what I needed, a morale boost.

Today I've done some pretty decent stories myself, not to brag that I am the best. But I think I can be much more better then anything else.

I try to experiment a lot with games. I'm very special with designing them. If I have good idea, I will most likely implement them and see the results. If i do not like the results in will scrap the idea and start again.

Yeah, that's all my life. Lol.
Daniel Sun
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Daniel Sun Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:34 am

Welcome back! And great to hear about your newly found Programming skills! It will take you far in this world my friend. C++ is a deadly weapon beyond my own knowledge, very power stuff.
Good to see the community returning!
Omar
Black Mist
Black Mist

by Omar Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 am

Indeed.
But most of our community are busy and we can't interact as much as we want too.
Return to General